Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Layers and Fossils


According to a friend's facebook post, today is World Gratitude Day. I'm all over that idea. I will say it all day, everyday; having an attitude of gratitude makes all the difference in the way you view your life. I've actually had more than a few tough days in the last week. I had to remind myself how good my life really is more than once, and it really did put my problems into perspective. Another thing that calms me down and takes away those worries for a time is painting. Without a doubt I have found my Element. I can't imagine any prescription medication could calm me down any more effectively (BTW, I HIGHLY recommend the book The Element by Sir Ken Robinson, Ph.D for anyone who has kids, teaches kids, or just feels like they haven't found their niche yet)

The painting above was done for an online painting course I'm taking. A study in layers and abstracts. Well I think that pretty well describes us all. We are all studies in layers and abstraction. I have a hard time with a pure abstract so I added some fossils; ammonites and turritellid gastropods. I guess my thinking was that here are some of the most common marine fossils and still some stand out more than others. We all leave a distinct impression on this world. Here are the progress shots:





No comments:

Post a Comment