Sunday, March 20, 2011

Great Creatures of the Sea

They read a passage this morning in church from Psalms 148.  One verse in particular caught my attention, verse 7. "Praise the Lord from the earth you great sea creatures and all ocean depths, " and I began to think that all of nature does praise the Lord. Humans, who were given free choice, are the only one of God's creations that don't as a rule. 

Guess I had sea creatures on the brain this afternoon.  This was meant to be a moon jellyfish.  As I was drawing it I kept thinking it looked like a lampshade and old curtains and then I began to think of my hometown where we are venturing to this week. I thought of all the powdery old ladies from from childhood and I began to think of this old girl here in the same way. I don't know what color jellyfish are. Doesn't matter. This one wears lime-colored chiffon and white cotton gloves. She smells of lemon verbena and rosewater and she makes THE BEST pecan pie you've ever tasted. Also she will pinch your head off if she is close enough and you are talking during church. I think I'll call her the church lady. And I mean that in the best possible way.







This is drawn in my watercolor moleskine, (I also added a little watercolor wash and a quick swipe with colored pencils) which you can see is somewhat oddly shaped and difficult to deal with, especially to scan. But there was another old grand dame in that book so I decided they would be great companions. These are definitely not girls to be trifled with. A couple of sea creatures have made appearance in this sketchbook as a matter of fact.

No work for me this week! Yippe! I'd like to do a couple more drawings before we head out of town on Wednesday but I have given myself an absolute "no schedule" rule for this week, so maybe I'll get something else posted and then again maybe I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Have a blessed, wonderful week. I am overflowing with gratitude today. And that is a GOOD THING!











(I love those little fish. I draw them all the time. Poor things are always being put in harm's way.)


No comments:

Post a Comment