Friday, March 4, 2011

Trying to Gather my Marbles...


I have marbles on the mind. And pirates. And frogs and turtles. And birds. And not much time or energy to put any of these mental pictures onto paper. Truth is I've been in the doldrums for most of the last two months. I need to draw. Need to remember how nice it feels to make silly pictures.

Here is a quick watercolor of marbles. I am trying to teach myself transparency and man, am I having trouble. Please don't look too carefully. I'm no good with watercolors, the paper warped horribly and I don't even think the marbles are round anymore. But that's the only new piece I have to post other than this silly drawing from my desk calendar at work:




That's Rigoberto the Squid-Armed Pirate. I hesitate to publish it because my sister said it looked like the tentacles were coming out of his pants. Well! They're not, ok?! Just a rough sketch, ok? Sheesh! If Rigoberto lives on, he will be posed in a more appropriate fashion in the future. Promise.

I am also being pulled back toward a former fixation, birds. Don't ask why. I can't stand the little buggers in real life but I am fascinated with their feathers and form. As soon as I finish the big marble painting I started a couple of weeks ago (and then abandoned), I'm headed for the birds (and turtles, I think). Here are some old studies from sketchbooks.







Have a fabulous, lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment